Young People and Gambling 2022
Gambling Commission report produced by Ipsos on young people and their gambling behaviour, attitudes and awareness in 2022.
- Executive summary
Young people’s active involvement in gambling
- - Summary
- - Young people's active involvement in gambling
- - Variations in active involvement in gambling
- - Variations in active involvement in types of gambling activities
- - Prevalence of non-problem, at risk or problem gambling
- - Problem gambling by gender
- - Problem gambling by age
- - Problem gambling by ethnicity
- Experience of gambling
- The Impact of gambling on young people
- Online gambling
- National Lottery play
- Games and gaming machines
- The Context for gambling participation
Attitudes towards and exposure to gambling
- - Summary
- - Young people’s views on gambling
- - Feeling informed about gambling
- - Being stopped from gambling
- - Young people’s exposure to gambling adverts and promotions and frequency of exposure
- - Content of gambling adverts and promotions seen
- - Whether ever prompted to gamble by adverts and promotions
- - Following gambling companies on social media
- List of gambling activities and definitions
The impact of gambling on spending
Young people who actively gambled in the last 12 months were asked if their own gambling had stopped them buying things that they wanted or, conversely, helped them to buy things that they needed.
Reflecting the perceived impact on households of family members gambling, as discussed in the next section, young people were most likely to highlight that gambling had helped them to buy things that they needed either all of the time, often or sometimes (12 percent). They were less likely to say that their own gambling stopped them from buying things that they wanted (5 percent).
There were no statistical differences by age or gender.
Figure 8: The impact of gambling on spending
Figure 8 information
GC_GAMBSTBUY GC_GAMBHPBUY. Thinking about the last 12 months, how often, if at all, has your own gambling led to any of the following things?
Base: All 11 to 16 year olds answering who have spent their own money gambling in the last 12 months: “Stopped you from buying things you have wanted” (721), 'Helped you buy things you have needed' (720), 'Made it hard for you to put effort into your school work, homework or personal study' (722).
Note: Where percentages for a question do not add up to 100 percent, this is due to computer rounding.
|Impact||Percentage who never||Percentage who rarely||Percentage who sometimes||Percentage who often||Percentage who all the time||Percentage who don't know|
|Helped you buy things you have needed||76%||7%||6%||4%||2%||4%|
|Stopped you from buying things you have wanted||88%||4%||2%||1%||1%||3%|
The impact of gambling on sleep Next section
The impact of gambling on schoolwork
Last updated: 9 November 2022
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.