Young People and Gambling 2022
Gambling Commission report produced by Ipsos on young people and their gambling behaviour, attitudes and awareness in 2022.
- Executive summary
Young people’s active involvement in gambling
- - Summary
- - Young people's active involvement in gambling
- - Variations in active involvement in gambling
- - Variations in active involvement in types of gambling activities
- - Prevalence of non-problem, at risk or problem gambling
- - Problem gambling by gender
- - Problem gambling by age
- - Problem gambling by ethnicity
- Experience of gambling
- The Impact of gambling on young people
- Online gambling
- National Lottery play
- Games and gaming machines
- The Context for gambling participation
Attitudes towards and exposure to gambling
- - Summary
- - Young people’s views on gambling
- - Feeling informed about gambling
- - Being stopped from gambling
- - Young people’s exposure to gambling adverts and promotions and frequency of exposure
- - Content of gambling adverts and promotions seen
- - Whether ever prompted to gamble by adverts and promotions
- - Following gambling companies on social media
- List of gambling activities and definitions
The following provides definitions for terms referenced throughout the report.
Regulated gambling - those gambling activities which are licensed and regulated by the Gambling Commission including betting or casino gaming provided by a licensed operator online or from premises, playing the National Lottery or other lottery products. This categorisation also includes playing of gaming machines in betting shops, bingo premises, casinos or arcades.
Due to different categories and requirements relating to gaming machines this report may include some gaming machine play which is not directly regulated by the Gambling Commission and in some incidences can be legally played by children and young people.
Unregulated gambling - those gambling activities which fall outside the remit of the Gambling Commission such as non-commercial gambling between friends and family or playing bingo somewhere other than a bingo club.
eSports - short for electronic sports, eSports is the competitive playing of video games, particularly between professional players, individually or as teams.Previous section
List of gambling activities
Last updated: 9 November 2022
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.