Young People and Gambling 2022
Gambling Commission report produced by Ipsos on young people and their gambling behaviour, attitudes and awareness in 2022.
- Executive summary
Young people’s active involvement in gambling
- - Summary
- - Young people's active involvement in gambling
- - Variations in active involvement in gambling
- - Variations in active involvement in types of gambling activities
- - Prevalence of non-problem, at risk or problem gambling
- - Problem gambling by gender
- - Problem gambling by age
- - Problem gambling by ethnicity
- Experience of gambling
- The Impact of gambling on young people
- Online gambling
- National Lottery play
- Games and gaming machines
- The Context for gambling participation
Attitudes towards and exposure to gambling
- - Summary
- - Young people’s views on gambling
- - Feeling informed about gambling
- - Being stopped from gambling
- - Young people’s exposure to gambling adverts and promotions and frequency of exposure
- - Content of gambling adverts and promotions seen
- - Whether ever prompted to gamble by adverts and promotions
- - Following gambling companies on social media
- List of gambling activities and definitions
Play in an adults-only area
Young people who recalled playing on arcade gaming machines were asked if they had ever done so in an adults-only area, for example in an amusement arcade or holiday park, or somewhere with a sign or sticker saying '18 or over'.
The majority (81 percent) had not played arcade gaming machines in an adults-only area. However, one in ten (9 percent) had done so, and a further one in ten (10 percent) were unsure.
Looking at those who had gambled in an adults-only area, young people who had seen their family members gamble were more likely to have done so than average (14 percent compared with 9 percent). As mentioned previously within the section on Who is with young people when they play gaming machines?, the majority of those who played arcade machines were doing so with someone else present (89 percent), typically their parents (57 percent).
Figure 19: Playing machines in an adults-only area
Figure 19 information
FRUITWHERE. As far as you know, have you ever played on any of these machines in an adults-only area or somewhere with a sign and/or sticker saying '18 or over'? For example, an adults only section of an amusement arcade or holiday park.
Base: All 11 to 16 year olds answering who have played arcade gaming machines or fruit and/or slot machines and know machine played (1,277).
|Response||Percentage who have played arcade gaming machines in an adult-only area|
Types of gaming machines
Last updated: 9 November 2022
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.