Young People and Gambling 2022
Gambling Commission report produced by Ipsos on young people and their gambling behaviour, attitudes and awareness in 2022.
- Executive summary
Young people’s active involvement in gambling
- - Summary
- - Young people's active involvement in gambling
- - Variations in active involvement in gambling
- - Variations in active involvement in types of gambling activities
- - Prevalence of non-problem, at risk or problem gambling
- - Problem gambling by gender
- - Problem gambling by age
- - Problem gambling by ethnicity
- Experience of gambling
- The Impact of gambling on young people
- Online gambling
- National Lottery play
- Games and gaming machines
- The Context for gambling participation
Attitudes towards and exposure to gambling
- - Summary
- - Young people’s views on gambling
- - Feeling informed about gambling
- - Being stopped from gambling
- - Young people’s exposure to gambling adverts and promotions and frequency of exposure
- - Content of gambling adverts and promotions seen
- - Whether ever prompted to gamble by adverts and promotions
- - Following gambling companies on social media
- List of gambling activities and definitions
Who is with young people when they play gaming machines?
When playing arcade gaming machines, the majority (89 percent) of young people were with someone, typically a parent or guardian (57 percent). This also holds true for play on fruit and slot machines; 80 percent were with someone, usually a parent or guardian (60 percent).
For both types of gaming machines, only a minority (5 percent) were alone when they played. Boys were more likely to be alone when they are playing arcade gaming machines, than girls (6 percent compared with 2 percent).
Figure 17: Who young people were with when playing games and gaming machines
Figure 17 information
GAMSPEND2. Last time you did [this activity and/or these activities] who were you with?
Base: All 11 to 16 year olds answering who have played arcade gaming machines (1,417), fruit or slot machines (312).
Note: Multiple response question so the percentages in the chart and table do not sum to 100 percent.
|Who were you with?||Percentage who were playing arcade gaming machines (multiple response question, therefore answers do not sum to 100 percent)||Percentage who were playing fruit or slot machine (multiple response question, therefore answers do not sum to 100 percent)|
|Parent(s), carer(s) or guardian(s)||57%||60%|
|Brother(s), sister(s) or friend(s) aged 17 years old or younger||38%||19%|
|Brother(s), sister(s) or friend(s) aged 18 years old or older||14%||16%|
|I was alone||5%||5%|
Overall experience of games and gaming machines play Next section
Types of gaming machines
Last updated: 9 November 2022
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.