Young People and Gambling 2022
- Executive summary
- Young people’s active involvement in gambling
- Experience of gambling
- The Impact of gambling on young people
- Online gambling
- National Lottery play
- Games and gaming machines
- The Context for gambling participation
- Attitudes towards and exposure to gambling
- List of gambling activities and definitions
Young people’s active involvement in online gambling
Young people were asked if they had spent their own money on online gambling in the last 12 months. Overall the proportions are very small with just 2 percent spending their own money on eSports (eSports definition provided in the Definitions section of this report), 1 percent spending their own money on National Lottery online instant win games, betting on a website or apps, or casino games online and less than 1 percent spending money on online bingo.
The data shows small but significant differences by gender in spend over the last 12 months on online gambling:
- betting on eSports (3 percent of boys spending their own money compared with less than 1 percent of girls)
- betting on a website or an app (2 percent of boys compared with less than 1 percent of girls)
- playing casino games online (2 percent of boys compared with 1 percent of girls).
Summary Next section
Overall experience of online gambling
Last updated: 9 November 2022
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.