Young People and Gambling 2022
Gambling Commission report produced by Ipsos on young people and their gambling behaviour, attitudes and awareness in 2022.
- Executive summary
Young people’s active involvement in gambling
- - Summary
- - Young people's active involvement in gambling
- - Variations in active involvement in gambling
- - Variations in active involvement in types of gambling activities
- - Prevalence of non-problem, at risk or problem gambling
- - Problem gambling by gender
- - Problem gambling by age
- - Problem gambling by ethnicity
- Experience of gambling
- The Impact of gambling on young people
- Online gambling
- National Lottery play
- Games and gaming machines
- The Context for gambling participation
Attitudes towards and exposure to gambling
- - Summary
- - Young people’s views on gambling
- - Feeling informed about gambling
- - Being stopped from gambling
- - Young people’s exposure to gambling adverts and promotions and frequency of exposure
- - Content of gambling adverts and promotions seen
- - Whether ever prompted to gamble by adverts and promotions
- - Following gambling companies on social media
- List of gambling activities and definitions
Types of gaming machines
Young people who had ever played on arcade gaming machines and fruit or slot machines were asked what kinds of gaming machines they played. The most played games were penny falls or penny pusher machines (73 percent) and claw or crane grab machines (72 percent).
Play on fruit machine-style games where you win tickets to buy prizes (for example soft toys) was less common (18 percent), as was quiz game machines where you win small cash prizes or tickets to buy prizes (15 percent) and fruit machine-style games where you win small cash prizes (10 percent).
Figure 18: Types of gaming machines played
Figure 18 information
FRUITTYPE. Thinking back to the last time you played on arcade gaming machines, fruit or slot machines, or other gambling machines, what sort of machine(s) did you play?
Base: All 11 to 16 year olds answering who have played arcade gaming machines or fruit and/or slot machines (1,438).
Note: This is a multiple response question, so the responses shown will not add up to 100 percent.
|Type of gaming machine||Percentage who played gaming machine (multiple response question, therefore answers do not sum to 100 percent)|
|Penny falls or penny pusher machines||73%|
|Claw or crane grab machines||72%|
|Fruit machine style games where you win tickets to ‘buy’ prizes||18%|
|Quiz game machines – where you win small cash prizes or tickets to ‘buy’ prizes||15%|
|Fruit machine style games where you win small cash prizes||10%|
There were some differences in play by gender:
- girls were more likely than boys to play claw or crane grab machines (75 percent compared with 69 percent)
- boys were more likely than girls to play fruit machine style games where you win small cash prizes (11 percent compared with 8 percent).
There were also differences by age:
- overall, the most popular activity for younger groups (11 to 13 year olds) was claw or crane grab machines (76 percent compared with 70 percent of 14 to 16 year olds)
- older age groups (14 to 16 year olds) typically preferred penny fall and/or pusher machines (76 percent compared with 64 percent of 12 year olds).
Who is with young people when they play gaming machines? Next section
Play in an adults-only area
Last updated: 9 November 2022
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.