Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content


Guidance to licensing authorities

The Gambling Commission's guidance for licensing authorities.


1 - Door supervision

33.1. If a licensing authority is concerned that a premises may attract disorder or be subject to attempts at unauthorised access, for example, by children and young persons, then it may require that the entrances to the premises are controlled by a door supervisor. The licensing authority is able to impose a condition on the premises licence to this effect.

33.2. S.178 of the Act sets out a definition of ‘door supervisor’ and provides that where a person employed in such a role is required to hold a licence issued by the Security Industry Authority (opens in new tab) (SIA), that requirement will have force as though it were a condition on the premises licence.

33.3. The SIA regulates the private security industry in England, Wales and Scotland, and is responsible for licensing individuals working within the various industry sectors, by virtue of the Private Security Industry Act 2001 (opens in new tab) (PSIA). The majority of persons employed to work as door supervisors at premises licensed for gambling and carrying out the functions listed under Schedule 2 Part 1 of the PSIA, will need to be licensed by the SIA. There are, however, exceptions to this requirement.

33.4. The PSIA requires that all contract staff (those employed under a contract for services) carrying out the functions set out under Schedule 2 Part 1 of the PSIA must be licensed by the SIA. However, certain premises also need to have their in-house employees (those employed under a contract of service) who carry out these functions, licensed. These premises include those holding a premises licence for the supply of alcohol or regulated entertainment under the Licensing Act 2003 (opens in new tab).

33.5. This requirement is relaxed when applied to door supervisors at casino and bingo premises. Where contract staff are employed as door supervisors at casino or bingo premises, such staff will need to be licensed by the SIA. However, in-house employees working as door supervisors at casino and bingo premises are exempt from these requirements.

33.6. In Scotland, the PSIA currently applies in respect of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 (opens in new tab) by virtue of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 (Consequential provisions) Order 2009 (opens in new tab), SSI No. 2009/248. This ensures that the same requirements in relation to the licensing of staff by the SIA in England and Wales also apply in Scotland.

33.7. Licensing authorities are encouraged to set out the circumstances in which such matters as door supervision may be required in their statement of policy.

Is this page useful?
Back to top