Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content


Guidance to licensing authorities

The Gambling Commission's guidance for licensing authorities.


4 - Procedure

15.7. Licensing authorities and track operators and occupiers should note that the processes set out in the Act for applying for an Occasional Use Notice (OUN) are different to those for Temporary Use Notices (TUNs).

15.8. The notice must be served on the licensing authority and copied to the chief officer of police for the area in which the track is wholly or partly located. The notice must specify the day on which it has effect. Notices may be given in relation to consecutive days, so long as the overall limit of eight days is not exceeded in the calendar year.

15.9. Provided that the notice will not result in betting facilities being available for more than eight days in a calendar year, there is no provision for counter-notices or objections to be submitted.

15.10. The Act does not require the applicant or the licensing authority to notify the Commission that an OUN has been given. However the Commission does require licensing authorities to submit returns showing how many OUNs were received during each year (see also Part 13 of this guidance).

15.11. It should be noted that betting operators cannot provide gaming machines at tracks by virtue of an OUN.

Previous section
Use (and misuse) of OUNs
Is this page useful?
Back to top