Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content


Guidance to licensing authorities

The Gambling Commission's guidance for licensing authorities.


6 - Premises licences

2.15. Where an individual or company uses premises, or causes or permits premises to be used, to offer gambling, they will also need to apply for a premises licence. Detailed information concerning premises licences can be found in Part 7 of this guidance, Part 9 of this guidance and Part 10 of this guidance.

2.16. Premises licences, and the regulatory tools associated with them, are a key means by which licensing authorities can ensure that risks to the licensing objectives are mitigated effectively.

2.17. Premises licences can be granted without conditions or subject to conditions and can be reviewed or revoked by the licensing authority. Part 9 of this guidance provides some illustrations of how licence conditions have been used by licensing authorities in a range of circumstances and a non-exhaustive list of premises licence conditions is provided at Part 9 of this guidance.

2.18. Premises licences are issued by the licensing authority with responsibility for the area in which the premises are situated and may authorise the provision of facilities on:

  • casino premises
  • bingo premises
  • betting premises, including tracks
  • adult gaming centres
  • family entertainment centres.

2.19. Except in the case of tracks (where the occupier of the track who holds the premises licence may not be the person who actually offers the gambling), premises licences may only be issued to those who hold a relevant operating licence, or who have applied for one. Premises licences may be transferred to someone else holding a valid operating licence.

2.20. In addition to licences, there are other forms of authorisation that a licensing authority may grant, for example, authorisations for the temporary use of premises, occasional use notices and different permits for unlicensed family entertainment centres, prize gaming, gaming machines on alcohol-licensed premises and club gaming and club machine permits.

Previous section
Personal licences
Is this page useful?
Back to top