Young People and Gambling 2023
- Executive summary
- Young people’s active involvement in gambling
- Experience of gambling
- The Impact of gambling on young people
- Online gambling
- National Lottery play
- Games and gaming machines
- The Context for gambling participation
- Attitudes towards and exposure to gambling
- List of gambling activities and definitions
Young people’s active involvement in online gambling
Young people were asked if they had spent their own money on online gambling in the last 12 months. Overall, the proportions are very small with just 1 percent spending their own money on eSports (definition of eSports in Appendix of this report), betting on a website or apps, or casino games online respectively.
The data shows small but significant differences by gender in spend over the last 12 months on online gambling:
- betting on eSports - 1 percent of boys, compared to less than 1 percent of girls
- betting on a website or an app - 1 percent of boys, compared to less than 1 percent of girls
- betting on casino games online – 1 percent of boys, compared to less than 1 percent of girls.
The figures for young people’s active involvement in placing a bet on eSports, betting on a website or apps and playing casino games online are reflective of the trends seen in 2022.Previous section
Summary Next section
Overall experience of online gambling
Last updated: 16 November 2023
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.