Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content


Guidance for licensed and unlicensed Family Entertainment Centres and Adult Gaming Centres.


There are three types of amusement arcade under the Gambling Act 2005.

These are:

  1. Adult Gaming Centres (AGCs) - high-street outlets with gaming machines only available to over 18s including slots, casino-style games and fruit machines. AGCs must have a Gambling Commission licence.

  2. Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centres (uFECs) - such as family-friendly amusement arcades and small arcades in holiday parks and resorts. Unlicensed FECs must have a permit from the local licensing authority.

  3. Family Entertainment Centres (FECs) - larger arcades which cater for a range of ages. They're allowed to provide an unlimited number of certain types of gaming machine in a premises which is open to all ages. Category C machines must be in a segregated, supervised area to stop under 18s from playing. FECs must have a Gambling Commission licence.

Read more about the types of amusement arcades.

Licences and Fees

There are different types of licence that arcade businesses may need to apply for, you may need more than of the following:

We issue operating licences and personal licences; premises licences are issued by local licensing authorities.

Types of operating licence

An operating licence allows you to provide gambling activities to customers in Great Britain.

Calculating your fees

Our online fees calculator can help you with understanding the amounts of your application, first annual and annual fees.

Personal Management Licences

Personal Management Licences allow people to work in certain roles in a gambling business.

Some businesses do not require personal licences to be held. Instead, you need to submit an Annex A. These are required for businesses with three employees or less.

Annex A

If your business qualifies as a small-scale operator, you can submit an Annex A instead of applying for a Personal Management Licence.

Premises licence

You will need a premises licence to provide arcade games to players in a non-remote setting. You will need to apply to the licensing authority the premises is located, to get a premises licence.

You will need to apply for an operating licence, before you apply for any premises licences.

Legislation and Policies

Gambling in Great Britain and the Gambling Commission's duties and responsibilities are detailed in the Gambling Act 2005.

The following legislation and policies are also applicable to operating licence holders.

Licence Conditions and Codes of Practice (LCCP)

The LCCP outlines the requirements that all operating and personal licence holders must follow.

Technical standards

All licence holders must comply with our technical standards and requirements. However, these standards should not be used as a measure of reliability, quality or security.

These standards and requirements permit equivalence between different types of technology and do not specify proprietary products or technologies.

Testing regimes for these standards will permit equivalent international standards (ISO).

Getting a licence

You can apply online for an adult gaming centre (AGC) or licensed family entertainment centre (FEC) licence. You do not require a licence for unlicensed family entertainment centres (UFECs).

The length of an arcade application depends on the complexity of your business.

You will need to apply for an operating licence, before you apply for a premises licence from the local licensing authority.

Information you'll need for getting a licence

We will ask you to provide information about you and your business as part of your licence application.

Apply online

You can use our online service to apply for an operating licence.

If you have not used the service before, you'll need an email address only you can access to be able to create an account.

Make sure you include all the information we ask for when you submit your application. If your application is rejected because something is missing, we will not refund your application fee.

Assessing your application

If your application is rejected

We will send you a letter explaining which documents are missing and you'll need to reapply online.

You must provide the missing documents, as well as the documents you included originally, and you will need to pay the application fee again.

Your licence

If we grant you a licence to run a gambling business, you will be able to download a copy of your licence from eServices.

You must make your licence available for inspection by request from Gambling Commission staff, licensing authority staff or other official bodies such as the police or fire service.

When you hold a licence

An important part of the Gambling Commission’s work is to ensure that licence holders are compliant. Compliance requires licence holders to understand and act in accordance with:

Compliance activity is based on risk and the risk that each licensed activity poses to the Gambling Commission’s licensing objectives.

The three licensing objectives are:

  • keeping crime out of gambling
  • ensuring gambling is conducted fairly and openly
  • protecting children and vulnerable people from being harmed or exploited by gambling.


Guidance and information for running a compliant gambling business. Including information on how we carry out assessments, your responsibilities under the LCCP and other gambling-related legislation.

Public Register

We provide details of all businesses and individuals we licence on our Public Register service.

When you are issued a licence, we will display the details of your licence on the register.

This includes:

  • your head office address
  • details of the activities you are licensed for and from when
  • domain and trading names you've told us about, and
  • details of any regulatory action that has been carried out.

Making changes to your licence

You can make most changes to your licence online, using eServices.

You can:

  • add or remove licence activities
  • change the activity fee category up or down
  • add or remove management or key people in the business
  • add or remove trading names
  • add or remove domain names for websites where you provide gambling.

Some of these changes require you to pay a fee.

Surrendering your licence

If you no longer need your licence, you can surrender it.

Is this page useful?
Back to top