Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Premises licence

You need a premises licence from your local licensing authority to run a premises-based gambling business, for example, a betting shop, bingo hall or arcade.

Your local licensing authority is usually your local council. Find your local council on GOV.UK (opens in new tab)

You need to have applied for an operating licence from us before you apply for a premises licence.

You should apply for a provisional statement from your local licensing authority if:

  • your premises still needs to be built
  • your premises needs major alterations
  • you do not have the right to occupy it.

You can directly apply for a premises licence from your local licensing authority if:

  • you have the right to occupy your premises
  • you have a valid operating licence that allows you to run your gambling business.

Before you apply

You may find it useful to review your local licensing authority’s gambling statement of policy before you apply. This will help you to see what their requirements are for gambling premises in their area. Contact your local licensing authority for more information.

Costs in England and Wales

Local licensing authorities in England and Wales are allowed to set the cost of a premises licence, depending on the type of premises. Read more about gambling premises licence fees on (opens in new tab).

Costs in Scotland

The fees for premises licences in Scotland have been set centrally. Read more about gambling premises licence fees in Scotland on (opens in new tab).

Organisations to notify after you apply

You must notify the following if you have applied for a premises licence or a provisional statement:

You must do this within 7 days of applying.

Notifying the public

You'll also need to announce that you have applied in public.

You can do this by:

  • publishing in a local newspaper or newsletter
  • posting notice in a convenient place outside the proposed premises.

You must do this at least once in the 10 working days after you submit your application.

Is this page useful?
Back to top