Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Small society lotteries

Societies that run small society lotteries, that is to say lotteries in which no more than £20,000 worth of tickets are put on sale and where the society’s aggregate proceeds from lotteries do not exceed £250,000 a year may operate without a Commission licence provided they register with their licensing authority. Where it becomes apparent that a small society lottery will exceed either of the monetary limits, it is the responsibility of the society to ensure they apply to the Commission for a licence, before the limit is exceeded.

The promoting society of a small society lottery must, throughout the period during which the lottery is promoted, be registered with a licensing authority in England and Wales or a licensing board in Scotland.

The societies are required to be registered with their licensing authority in the area where their principal office is located. If the local authority believes that the society’s principal office is situated in another area it should inform the society as soon as possible and if possible inform that other authority.

Details of registration requirements and procedures can be obtained from the licensing department of the relevant local authority.

Societies that run small society lotteries under registration with a licensing authority and that sell tickets by means of remote communication (internet, telephone etc) are not required to hold a remote gambling licence issued by the Commission.

Previous page
Large society and local authority lottery licensing requirements
Next page
Personal Management Licences
Is this page useful?
Back to top