Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Remote lotteries

Section 4 of the Gambling Act (opens in a new tab) specifies that remote gambling means gambling in which people participate by the use of remote communication including the internet, telephone, television, radio or any other electronic or technological method of communication. Normal letter post is not a form of remote communication for the purposes of the Act.

Societies and local authorities requiring licensing by the Commission and which allow players to participate in their lotteries by means of remote communication will be required to hold a remote lottery operating licence. For example, those accepting payments by telephone, or over the internet, will require a remote operating licence.

Holders of a remote lottery operating licence will be required to comply with the technical standards and the other specific licence conditions and codes of practice issued by the Commission that relate to remote gambling. Only remote lottery operating licence holders that accept more than £250,000 worth of entries by remote means per year will be required to meet the full testing and third party security audit requirements. The remote technical standards do not apply to holders of an ancillary remote lottery licence. Further details are available on the Commission's website.

Societies registered with licensing authorities that allow people to participate in their lottery by way of remote communication are not required to hold a remote lottery operating licence.

Previous page
External Lottery Managers and service providers
Next page
Gambling Commission licence conditions and codes of practice
Is this page useful?
Back to top