Do not use, enforce, or seek to rely on any term in a consumer contract or notice which has object or effect of:
- obliging consumers to participate in publicity promoting the operator or an associated business if required to do so
- deeming the consumer, by accepting and agreeing to the terms of such a contract or consumer notice, to have consented to the use of any personal information (including name) for promotional purposes for the benefit of the operator.
What you should do
Operators must not use terms and conditions that forces players to take part in publicity promoting the operator. Players must be willing to take part in any publicity and cannot be pressured or forced to take part and they should give their explicit consent to participate in any publicity.
Terms and conditions relating to Data Protection and GDPR must not be used as an indication that players have agreed to take part in publicity promoting the operator:
- players must opt into promotions rather than being automatically enrolled
- refer to our GDPR and Data protection information for further guidance in this area.
Ensure that when a player enters a promotion, operators have been given express and informed consent and the player has accepted the terms and conditions. Players must opt into promotions rather than being automatically enrolled.
What not to do
Operators cannot assume that a player has consented to take part in promotional activity by agreeing to the data protection and GDPR terms and conditions provided by operators.
Example of what not to do
- "As a member of our VIP scheme, you will be enrolled into our promotions and publicity activity. Please contact customer services if you wish to opt out of this."
- Don't enrol a consumer in any promotion without first obtaining the consumer’s express and informed consent to accept the terms and conditions of that specific promotion.
Free bets and account restrictions (in relation to sports betting) Next page
The right to vary a promotion
Last updated: 15 February 2022
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.