The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Non-trading businesses and annual fees

It is a requirement of the Gambling Act 2005 for operators to pay their annual fee in full before the anniversary date stated on their operating licence. The fact that you may not have traded does not affect this legal requirement. If you wish to retain your operating licence, you must pay the annual fee by the due date.

If you surrender your licence the fee will not be payable.

How to surrender your licence

If you want to give up or surrender your operating licence in full or partially, you can do this in the following ways.


0121 230 6511 (option 2)



You can partially surrender your licences in eServices.

If you do surrender your operating licence, you will not be able to trade again until you have applied for and been granted a new operating licence. You would then have to pay the application fee and, if the licence is granted, a first annual fee 30 days after the issue date of the new licence.

Previous page
What if I cannot pay my annual fee
Is this page useful?
Back to top