The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Criminal record checks

As part of the application process we'll need to ask if you've received any criminal convictions, warnings or reprimands.

If you fail to declare any criminal convictions which we later discover during our checks, this may result in your application being refused or your licence being revoked.

Why we do criminality checks

We do this to assess if a person is suitable to hold a personal licence. We are also required to carry out these checks by law, under Part 5 of the Gambling Act 2005 (opens in new tab).

Not all convictions will prevent you from getting a licence. When considering the suitability of someone to hold a personal licence, we review details of the offence on a case by case basis.

Relevant offences which may result in a licence application being refused, or a licence to be revoked, are listed under Schedule 7 of the Gambling Act (opens in new tab).

Do not send us any documents unless we ask for them

You may have a certificate from a previous DBS or Disclosure Scotland by an employer. Do not send us these certificates, even if the check was done recently. We will always request new checks as part of the application process.

Types of criminality checks

During the application process, we will let you know what checks will be completed and if we need anything further from you.

If you lived or worked in England or Wales in the last 5 years

We will carry out a Basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (opens in new tab), which is done electronically. We will ask you some questions in the application to enable us to carry out this check.

If you declare any criminal history in your application, we reserve the right to carry out a Standard DBS check, instead of a Basic DBS check. You will be notified if we intend to do this. We cannot do this Standard check electronically, instead, we'll send you a form which you'll need to complete, sign, and return to us.

Electronic checks can take 1 to 7 days to complete. Standard checks can take up to 3 weeks.

After DBS checks

DBS will issue a certificate which details any relevant convictions, warnings or offences against you.

Once you get your certificate, we may ask you to send this to us. Do not send us your certificate unless we ask for it. We will tell you how and where to send it to.

If you have only lived in Scotland in the last 5 years

We will request a Disclosure Scotland check (opens in new tab)

We will send you a form which you need to complete, sign and return to us.

Disclosure Scotland checks can take up to 3 weeks.

After Disclosure Scotland checks

Disclosure Scotland will issue a certificate which details (if any) relevant convictions, warning or offences against you.

Once you get your certificate, we require you to send this to us and we will tell you how and where to send it.

If you were born outside of England, Wales or Scotland or lived overseas in the last 5 years

We will ask you to obtain a copy of a police record from your local police force. If these records are not in English, you must obtain certified copies, translated into English. For example, copies which have been certified by a solicitor.

This is at your own cost and is not covered by the application fee. We will not pay any fees for obtaining or translating these documents.

These documents need to be uploaded as part of your application. We may reject your application if they are not provided, or not in English.

You can find more information about certifying a document on GOV.UK (opens in new tab).

After you receive your licence

If you are convicted or receive a caution for an offence once you have your licence, you are required to tell us about any offences listed in Schedule 7 of the Gambling Act 2005 (opens in new tab) within 5 days or as soon as reasonably possible.

Tell us online

You can tell us about any offences using the Manage your personal licence service.


You can find out more about which key events you need to report to us as a personal licence holder.

Previous page
What information you need when applying
Next page
Uploading your documents
Is this page useful?
Back to top