With this document you can:

This box is not visible in the printed version.

Personal Management Licence (PML) guide

Information on PMLs, including the specific roles that require one, the fees you will have to pay, and how you can apply.

Published: 3 May 2021

Last updated: 12 December 2023

This version was printed or saved on: 12 July 2024

Online version: https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/licensees-and-businesses/guide/personal-management-licence

Overview: > It can take up to 8 weeks to process a PML if there are no issues with the application.

You must hold a PML if you are responsible for the following activities at licensed gambling operators:

You will only ever need to hold one PML, regardless of however many management activities you carry out.

You must be 18 or over to apply for a personal licence.

To renew or manage a personal licence you already have, use the Manage and maintain your personal licence service. If you need to change the type of personal licence you have, read our guidance on making changes to your personal licence.

Apply for a Personal Management Licence or update your application

Start now

Nominated officers in casino businesses

An appointed nominated officer for Anti-Money Laundering is not required to hold a PML, but we consider it good practice.

When to apply

You should apply for PMLs for people in qualifying management positions within your business at the same time as applying for your operating licence.

You may not need a PML if your business is considered a Small Scale Operator.

Until we issue your PML, you should not carry out the responsibilities that the PML allows you to do, for example, making strategic and operational decisions.

Application costs

It costs £370 to apply for a licence, the fee must be paid by credit or debit card online. We are unable to accept payments made by American Express or Visa Electron.

This fee is non-refundable, even if your application is unsuccessful or you choose to withdraw from the application process.

What information you need when applying

To apply for a licence you'll need:

Criminal record checks

As part of the application process we'll need to ask if you've received any criminal convictions, warnings or reprimands.

It is important that you declare any offences. We undertake checks, including Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks, to confirm the accuracy of your declarations.

Why we do criminality checks

We do this to assess if a person is suitable to hold a personal licence or Annex A. We are also required to carry out these checks by law, under Part 5 of the Gambling Act 2005 (opens in new tab).

Not all convictions will prevent you from getting a licence or Annex A. When considering the suitability of someone to hold a personal licence or Annex A, we review details of the offence on a case by case basis.

Relevant offences which may result in a licence application being refused, or a licence to be revoked, are listed under Schedule 7 of the Gambling Act (opens in new tab).

Do not send us any documents unless we ask for them

You may have a certificate from a previous DBS or Disclosure Scotland by an employer. Do not send us these certificates, even if the check was done recently. We will always request new checks as part of the application process.

Types of criminality checks

During the application process, we will let you know what checks will be completed and if we need anything further from you.

If you lived or worked in England or Wales

We will carry out a Basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (opens in new tab), which is done electronically. We will ask you some questions in the application to enable us to carry out this check.

If you declare any criminal history in your application, we reserve the right to carry out a Standard DBS check, instead of a Basic DBS check. You will be notified if we intend to do this. We cannot do this Standard check electronically, instead, we'll send you a form which you'll need to complete, sign, and return to us.

Electronic checks can take 1 to 7 days to complete. Standard checks can take up to 3 weeks.

DBS will issue a certificate which details any relevant convictions, warnings or offences against you.

Once you get your certificate, we may ask you to send this to us. Do not send us your certificate unless we ask for it. We will tell you how and where to send it.

Electronic Disclosure and Barring Service (eDBS) checks

To carry out electronic DBS (eDBS) checks, we must have your consent.

If you consent to sharing the result of the eDBS, you can progress the application online and when submitted, the application will be processed in the via the automated service.

If you do not consent to sharing the eDBS result with us, we cannot progress the application using the automated service.

Instead, you must:

  1. Use our online form to contact us about your application for a licence. Select the ‘I want to discuss other ways to submit my application for a licence’ option. A member of our Licensing team will contact you with an application form for you to complete.
  2. If you are applying for a personal licence, you must pay for your application using GOV.UK Pay. The Licensing team will send you a payment link.
  3. Pay for your own basic DBS check (opens in new tab).
  4. Send us your DBS certificate, completed application form and any other supporting evidence required for the application. Submit these by email to Licensing@gamblingcommission.gov.uk.

Any information provided via the online services will be deleted in line with the Commission’s Privacy policy.

Once we receive all of your documentation and payment, your application will be processed manually by a Licensing caseworker. The caseworker will provide an estimate on how long the application is likely to take to be determined.

When the application has been processed and determined, you will receive an email notification from us as confirmation.

As part of our compliance processes, the Commission will be asked to provide evidence that the required consent has been freely obtained.

Further information is available in the DBS Consent policy (opens in new tab).

If you were born or have lived in Scotland

We will request a Disclosure Scotland check (opens in new tab)

We will send you a form which you need to complete, sign and return to us.

Disclosure Scotland checks can take up to 3 weeks.

Disclosure Scotland will issue a certificate which details any relevant convictions, warning or offences against you.

Once you get your certificate, we require you to send this to us and we will tell you how and where to send it.

If you were born outside of England, Wales or Scotland or lived overseas in the last 5 years

We will ask you to obtain certified copies of your overseas police report from your local police force translated into English. (This is not required if you left your country of birth as a child.)

This is at your own cost and is not covered by the application fee. We will not pay any fees for obtaining or translating these documents.

These documents need to be uploaded as part of your application. We may refuse your application if they are not provided, as your application is incomplete.

You can find more information about certifying a document on GOV.UK (opens in new tab).

Uploading your documents

We will let you know if you need to send us any additional documents as part of your application.

If we ask for any additional information or supporting documents, you can submit these online. Upload your documents using the Apply for a personal licence service.

Do not send documents to us by post unless we have specifically stated to do so.

If you get your licence

You will not receive a physical copy of your licence from us but you can download a copy through our Manage and maintain your personal licence service.

You need to be able to produce your licence on demand within a specified period of time if an enforcement officer or relevant person of authority asks to see it. Your licence will last indefinitely unless:

However, you will need to renew your personal licence every 5 years.

For information on what happens after you have your licence, including how to renew, manage or surrender your licence, read our Managing your personal licence guide.

If your application is refused

If we refuse your application we'll let you know the reasons why and the steps you can take to appeal if you are unhappy with our decision.

If we have given you a final decision and you are not satisfied with it, you can appeal to an independent tribunal (opens in new tab) within 28 days of receiving our refusal letter.