Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

What we don't do

Customer redress

We are a regulator and not an ombudsman. This means we do not have the powers to resolve individual gambling complaints or help consumers get their money back.

Our role is to consider if a gambling business has breached their licence conditions. If they have, we will take regulatory action where appropriate.

We make a record of all complaints made against a gambling business. Where consumers share information with us that indicates a breach of our rules, that information will inform any regulatory action that we decide to take.

Customer complaints

We can't resolve complaints about gambling transactions. For example, problems with withdrawals or technical faults in a game.

If you have a complaint, you should complain directly to the gambling business and follow the complaints process.

All licensed gambling businesses must have procedures for handling customer complaints. This includes The National Lottery. Disputes are referred to an independent third party. We may review cases to see if the gambling business has met the obligations set out in its licence.

Issue premises licences

Premises licences are issued by licensing authorities. Licensing authorities are also responsible for issuing permits for low stakes gambling, such as gambling in pubs.

We don’t give legal advice to help develop business models or ideas. But we do provide general information and advice about the Gambling Act 2005 (opens in new tab) and our approach.

Gambling we don't regulate

We regulate most types of gambling in Great Britain. However, a few types of gambling are managed by other regulators.

Small society lotteries

Small society lotteries are regulated by local authorities. They do not require a licence from us, but must be registered with the society's local authority. You can find out more about how to run a small society lottery.

Spread betting

Spread betting which can include things like betting on stocks and shares is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (opens in new tab).

All gambling websites

Our regulatory remit only allows us to regulate gambling websites which trade or advertise to customers in Great Britain. These gambling websites must have a Gambling Commission licence.

To check a company is licensed before you gamble online, look for a link to our public register on the gambling business’ website. Here you can see the type of activities the site is allowed to offer. You can find out more about how to check a site is licensed.

Previous page
Who we regulate
Is this page useful?
Back to top