Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Who we regulate

We are responsible for licensing the following people and businesses providing gambling in Great Britain. We are also responsible for ensuring licence holders meet the relevant conditions of their licence.

Gambling businesses

We need to issue an operating licence to a gambling business for it to operate in Great Britain. The specific type of licence depends on the type of gambling business.

Examples of the types of business we license include:

  • online businesses with gambling websites or apps which trade or advertise to British customers
  • arcades and entertainment centres
  • betting shops
  • lotteries and society lotteries
  • gambling software companies
  • gaming machine companies
  • bingo halls
  • casinos.

External lottery managers

A society or local authority lottery can employ an external lottery manager (ELM) to run the lottery on their behalf. However, an ELM must apply for an operating licence.

There is detailed information about the types of licences and how to apply for licensees and businesses.

People working in the gambling industry

There are two types of licences we issue to individuals, known as personal licences.

Personal Management Licenses

For senior staff with responsibilities such as developing the corporate strategy or financial planning for a gambling business. You can apply for a Personal Management Licence online.

Personal Functional Licences

For people working in casinos in roles where they are directly involved in the game or handling money (such as dealers). You can apply for a Personal Functional Licence online.

The application process for both licences include background and criminality checks.

Previous page
What we regulate
Next page
What we don't regulate
Is this page useful?
Back to top