National Strategic Assessment 2020
This report sets out our latest assessment of the issues we face and the risks that gambling poses to consumers and the public
The person gambling
- Key issues and risks What we believe the key issues and risks are to the person gambling.
- What do we know? A detailed look at what we know about peoples gambling habits in terms of activity and participation.
- Understanding why people gamble There are many motivations for gambling. As a regulator, it is vital we understand the reasons people gamble in order to make gambling safe and fair.
- Problem and at-risk gambling A look at the data that we use to determine problem gambling rates and what this data has shown us.
- The person gambling - What are the issues? Gambling businesses should know their customers in terms of their affordability and personal circumstances in order to limit the risk of problem gamblers.
- The person gambling - Customer affordability A look at customer affordability and how gambling businesses can monitor is their customers are spending more than they can afford to on gambling.
- The person gambling - Case studies - Clearly unaffordable gambling Case studies which demonstrate clearly unaffordable gambling and the lessons learned from these situations.
- The person gambling - GC action The action we have taken to ensure that gambling affordability is more closely monitored by gambling businesses and what checks we expect them to do.
- The person gambling - Identification of at-risk behaviours and vulnerability How licensees can better their understanding of at-risk behaviours, and ensure they are doing all they can to identify these risks.
- The person gambling - Engaged gamblers who participate in multiple products across different providers A look at data which has allowed us to analyse how many customers hold multiple gambling accounts and the risks this poses.
- Underage gambling We expect licensees to prevent underage gambling. This page outlines some of the procedures that can be put in place to eliminate the risk of underage gambling.
- Gaps in the evidence and understanding of gambling related harms We conduct a quarterly telephone survey and other research to ensure that we have the most up to date picture of the gambling industry.
Executive summary Next section
The place where gambling is occurring
Last updated: 3 November 2020
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.