Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Who can promote lotteries?

In addition to some small lotteries, which are ‘exempt’ from the requirement to hold a licence, the Act permits licensed or registered non-commercial societies and local authorities to promote lotteries. It is the view of the Commission that the intention is to allow non-commercial societies and local authorities to use a lottery as a means of raising funds to support their purposes.

The Act also allows those societies and local authorities to appoint a person - who is not a member, officer or employee of the society or local authority - as an ELM to make the arrangements for the lottery on their behalf. Where arrangements for the lottery are made by an ELM on behalf of a society or local authority, both the ELM and the society or local authority promote the lottery ( Section 252(4) of the Gambling Act 2005 (opens in a new tab)). The intention of the provision is relatively limited in scope; it is designed to do nothing more than allow a society or local authority to outsource the running of its lottery or a part of its lottery to a third party.

Previous page
Lottery proceeds - Advice note April 2013 (Updated July 2020)
Next page
‘Proceeds’ and ‘profits’ of a lottery
Is this page useful?
Back to top