Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content


Lotteries and the Gambling Act 2005

Guidance on lotteries and the Gambling Act 2005 for local authorities

Lottery Prizes

Prizes awarded in small society lotteries can be either cash or non-monetary. Prizes declared on returns must not exceed the limits on prizes set out by the Act. No single prize can be worth more than £25,000, even if the prize itself was donated.

At least 20% of the total proceeds from the lottery must go to the good cause. The remaining 80% can be used for expenses incurred with the running of the lottery, such as managers’ fees and prizes.

Donated prizes should be declared on the return following the lottery draw. The worth of the prize is its market value – not how much the promoter paid for it.

Previous section
Lotteries and the GA05: Lottery Proceeds
Next section
Lotteries and the GA05: Administration and returns
Is this page useful?
Back to top