Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Apply for a licence to operate a gambling business

Who is it for?

You need an operating licence from us if you want to provide gambling facilities to players in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland).

This includes providing facilities for remote gambling, online or through other means, and advertise to consumers in Great Britain.

You must be 18 or over to apply for a licence.

Use this service


How long does it take?

For processing times, please see our page on licence application processing times.

As soon as your application is assigned, your caseworker will be in touch and can provide an indicative timescale for the processing of your application.

Types of gambling that require a licence

Not all gambling requires a licence from us.

We license:

  • arcades
  • betting (shops and on-course)
  • bingo
  • casinos
  • gaming machine providers
  • gambling software providers
  • lottery
  • external lottery managers
  • remote gambling (gambling done either online or by phone) that uses British-based equipment.

However, we don't license all gambling.

Some low-level gambling and permits are issued by local licensing authorities. Find out who is responsible for licensing different forms of gambling.

What you'll need to apply

As the application for an operating licence is based on the activities you want to provide, we have provided a summary of all the information we may require to complete your application.

You'll be asked in the application to upload supporting documents for your application.

We ask for the following information during the application process:

Documents required
Documents Applicant type
Ownership structure diagram All but sole trader
Management structure All but sole trader
Group structure Part of a group only
Share certificates Companies limited by shares
Articles of association Limited company only
Certificate of incorporation Limited company only
Constitution Only if you have one
Memorandum of association Limited company only
Trust documents Trust only
Partnership agreement Partnership only
Individual identity documents Sole trader
Policies & procedures - LCCP All
Customer terms & conditions All
Rules of play All
Copies of gambling licences from other jurisdictions All if licensed elsewhere
Policies & procedures - Remote technical standards & testing strategy policies Remote licence applicant only
Gambling software supply details Remote licence applicant only
Software supply method Remote licence applicant only
Operational model map Remote licence applicant only
System diagram for end to end process Remote licence applicant only
Bank statements for all account for last 6 months All
Business plan All
Audited accounts All except sole trader if applicable
Profit & loss projections for next 3 years All
Proof of funding All
Credit report Overseas based only
Annual reports to regulators All except sole trader if applicable
Annual returns All except sole trader if applicable
Details of bonus/profit sharing schemes All except sole trader if applicable
Details of bonus/profit sharing schemes All except sole trader if applicable
List of individuals compensated over £200k in last 12 months All except sole trader if applicable
Insolvency/administration/liquidation report All if applicable
Personal Management Licence application and required supporting documents from each person responsible for a specified management office or Annex A personal declaration form if the applicant is a Small Scale Operator All
Annex A personal declaration form and supporting documents from each person who holds 10% or more shares in the applicant All

What you'll need to pay and when

You'll need to pay an application fee when you submit your application.

This fee is calculated when you've chosen the activities you want to apply for a licence to provide.

You'll need to pay the fee by credit or debit card when you submit your application.

First annual fee

Your first annual fee is due 30 days after your licence is issued to you. You can pay this online using a credit or debit card in our eServices service, which you'll have access to once licensed.

If you have a question about your application

Complete our online form to submit your question.

Is this page useful?
Back to top