GZIRA, GZR 1300, Malta
What is a sanction?
When a licence holder has not followed rules and regulations aimed at ensuring gambling is fair, safe and crime-free, we can take action and impose the following sanctions:
- Give the licensee a warning
- Add, remove, or amend a condition to the licence
- Suspend a licence
- Revoke a licence
- Impose a financial penalty
Decision date: 5 September 2022
Outcomes: Financial penalty
Details of action
Following an investigation outside of a licence review, the Commission found that Betway Limited (“the Licensee”) failed to comply with paragraphs 1 and 2 of SRCP 5.1.6 – Compliance with advertising codes, which requires the following:
- All marketing of gambling products and services must be undertaken in a socially responsible manner.
- In particular, Licensees must comply with the advertising codes of practice issued by the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) and the Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice (BCAP) as applicable. For media not explicitly covered, licensees should have regard to the principles included in these codes of practice as if they were explicitly covered.
The failure to comply with a SRCP is a breach of a licence condition of by virtue of section 82(1) of the Act.
In line with the Commission’s Licensing, compliance and enforcement policy statement, the Indicative sanctions guidance and the Statement of principles for determining financial penalties, the Commission has decided to impose a financial penalty of £408,915 under section 121(1) of the Act.
Commission Officials note the remedial action that was taken by the Licensee and acknowledge that the Licensee has co-operated with the Commission throughout the investigation.