Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Taking your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider

You must have gone through the gambling business’s own complaints procedure before you can use an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider. They look at the information from you and the gambling business to settle your complaint.

If you are not satisfied with the result from the gambling business, after 8 weeks you can take your complaint to an ADR provider. An ADR provider is a free, independent service.

The gambling business should be able to tell you which ADR provider to use and give you their contact details. They may also give you a letter to confirm that you can take your complaint to an ADR provider, called a deadlock letter.

Deadlock letter

The deadlock letter is usually issued by a gambling business at the conclusion of a complaint you have raised with them. The letter will provide information about referring a complaint or dispute to an ADR provider.

Considering information

The ADR provider will then consider the information from you, which should include any response from the gambling business, and determine whether it can adjudicate your complaint.

If the provider accepts the complaint, it will contact the gambling business and start the adjudication process.

If you have not received confirmation that the ADR provider has received your complaint, its response may have gone to the junk folder of your email inbox. If after checking this folder you cannot find a response, contact the ADR provider in the first instance.

Complaints not accepted by an ADR provider

An ADR provider will not accept complaints regarding a customer service issue, the refusal to accept a bet or your custom.

A gambling business is free to decide who they accept bets from and on what terms. Further information on the Status of a bet as a contract.

An ADR provider will also not accept a complaint about customer service issues.

Waiting for the ADR's decision

Once the ADR provider has all the information it needs from the gambling business, it then has up to 90 days to consider that information and make an adjudication.

If a complaint is particularly complex, it may take longer. The ADR provider should tell you if the 90-day period is being extended and how long it will need to issue its decision. You should then receive updates on your case at least every 30 days.

Appeals process

If you are unhappy with the final adjudication, you may be able to appeal it. The ADR provider should tell you if they have an appeals procedure and give you information on possible grounds for appeal, time limits and what will happen at the end.

Other resolution options

If you remain unhappy with the final adjudication or appeal, you may decide to take your case to the small claims court. However, you should seek your own independent legal advice before making that decision.

Previous page
How to complain
Is this page useful?
Back to top