Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

How to complain

First of all you should complain directly to the gambling business. Follow the complaints process when you submit your complaint.

The complaints process

  1. Check terms and conditions

    Check any terms and conditions that are linked to your account or your gambling transaction.

  2. Contact the gambling business

    You can find how to contact the gambling business and view their complaints procedure on their website.

    You can also complain in person and ask for a copy of the complaints policy at the premises. For example the betting shop, arcade, bingo hall or casino.

    You can also use the free online tool Resolver that gives advice to customers and can help you with submitting a complaint.

    Use Resolver opens in a new tab

  3. Follow their complaints policy

    Tell the gambling business all the information about your complaint, including dates, times and amounts of money.

    Share any evidence you have to support your complaint. Make sure you keep a copy of everything that you tell them.

  4. Wait for the response

    The gambling business has 8 weeks to resolve your complaint from when they receive it. When the investigation is complete, they will tell you the result of your complaint and what happens next.

    This includes what to do if you are not satisfied with the result (which might be to take it to someone higher in the gambling business).

  5. If you're not happy with the outcome

    You may be able to escalate your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider.

    You cannot take your complaint to an ADR without first going through the gambling business's complaint process.

    Read our information on taking your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider.

If you use Resolver to submit your complaint

As Resolver is an independent company, the Gambling Commission isn't involved in how Resolver’s services work.

It is important to note that it is not mandatory for gambling businesses to have the Resolver tool in place, and as such not all gambling businesses will accept Resolver.

Previous page
Complain about a gambling business
Next page
Taking your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider
Is this page useful?
Back to top