LeoVegas penalised for advertising and marketing failings
02 May 2018
LeoVegas, the online gambling operator, has been penalised by the Gambling Commission for failings relating to misleading advertising and the handling of customers at the end of their self-exclusion period.
Following a review of LeoVegas’ licence the Commission has concluded matters on the basis that LeoVegas will pay a £600,000 penalty, will divest itself of any funds received as a result of the failings, and will pay the Commission’s costs.
During its investigation the Commission found that LeoVegas:
- was responsible for 41 misleading adverts
- failed to return funds to 11,205 customers when they chose to self-exclude and close their account
- sent marketing material to 1,894 people who had previously self-excluded
- allowed 413 previously self-excluded1 customers to gamble without speaking to those customers first or applying a 24-hour cooling off period before allowing them to gamble.
Neil McArthur, the Gambling Commission’s Chief Executive said: “The outcome of this case should leave no one in any doubt that we will be tough with licence holders who mislead consumers or fail to meet the standards we set in our licence conditions and codes of practice. We want operators to learn the lessons from our investigations and use those lessons to raise standards. ”
Public statements are only available online for 3 years from the date of issue. If you require a copy of a historic public statement, contact us with details of the statement you require.
1 Self-exclusion is a tool used by consumers who feel they are having trouble controlling their gambling and request that the operator refuse their service.
Note to editors
- Our approach to enforcement.
- More information about how we regulate the gambling industry.
- Useful statistics on the gambling industry.
Journalists can contact our press office on 0121 230 6700 or email: email@example.com
For all media enquiries, please contact the Gambling Commission press office.
Last updated: 2 September 2021
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.