How we regulate
We exist to safeguard players and the wider public by ensuring gambling is fair and safe.
The main ways we do this is by:
- licensing gambling businesses
- licensing people who work in the gambling industry, in specific roles
- setting out Licence Conditions and Codes of Practice (LCCP)
- carrying out compliance activities
- enforcement action and prosecution work, if a business or individual breaches their licence conditions
- working closely with the gambling industry to raise standards
- providing advice and guidance to players and the public
- being the leading authority on gambling related statistics and research.
The Gambling Commission’s functions are set out in the Gambling Act 2005 (opens in new tab) as amended by the Gambling (Licensing and Advertising) Act 2014 (opens in new tab).Next page
Our statement of principles for licensing and regulation
Last updated: 13 February 2023
Show updates to this content
Following an audit the 'How we regulate the National Lottery' link has been updated.