Gambling Commission publishes Annual Report and Accounts for 2017 to 2018
13 July 2018
The Annual Report, published today, looks back at performance and progress by the organisation over the last financial year.
The report for 2017 to 2018 saw a clear focus on change for both the industry and the Commission including the launch of a three-year strategy setting out the road map to make gambling fairer and safer in Britain.
The year also saw the implementation of a new enforcement strategy which resulted in larger penalty packages for failings to protect consumers. A significant achievement for the regulator over this time was raising awareness of gambling-related harm and making progress in problem gambling being recognised as a public health issue.
In March 2018 the Commission submitted its comprehensive evidence and advice to Government as part of the Review of Gaming Machines and Social Responsibility Measures – at the heart of that work was protecting consumers and preventing gambling-related harm.
Other highlights include:
- a review of the online gambling market, setting out proposals to enhance consumer protection
- continued partnership with other key regulators, the Competitions and Markets Authority and the Advertising Standards Authority to tackle misleading advertising and unfair terms and practices
- focus on ensuring the National Lottery continues to maximise contributions to good causes.
Note to editors
- Our approach to enforcement.
- More information about how we regulate the gambling industry.
- Useful statistics on the gambling industry.
Journalists can contact our press office on 0121 230 6700 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For all media enquiries, please contact the Gambling Commission press office.
Last updated: 23 August 2021
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.