Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Casino permitted areas

Casinos are only permitted in certain areas within Great Britain.

Casino premises licences

New casinos under the Gambling Act 2005 (opens in new tab) are restricted to the following areas.

The following local licensing authority areas can site one small casino:

  • Bath and North East Somerset District Council
  • East Lindsey District Council
  • Luton Borough Council
  • Scarborough Borough Council
  • Swansea City and County Council
  • Torbay Borough Council
  • Wigtown Divisional Licensing Board in the area of Dumfries and Galloway Council
  • Wolverhampton City Council.

The following local licensing authority areas can site one large casino:

  • Great Yarmouth Borough Council
  • Kingston upon Hull City Council
  • Leeds City Council
  • Middlesbrough Borough Council
  • Milton Keynes Borough Council
  • Newham London Borough Council
  • Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council
  • Southampton City Council.

To find out more you can contact the local licensing authorities. Find your local council on GOV.UK (opens in new tab).

How the regions were decided

The regions are based on a historical division that was established under the previous regulatory framework by the Gaming Board for Great Britain working under the Gaming Act 1968.

Gaming Act 1968

If you run a 1968 Act casino, you should already have a premises licence from your local licensing authority.

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) has more information about 1968 Act casinos, including the legal framework. Read the casinos section of the VOA's rating manual on GOV.UK (opens in new tab).

Is this page useful?
Back to top