Advice to the Gambling Commission on a statutory levy
Appendix 2: Areas of treatment, education and research related to gambling harms covered by a statutory levy
Third sector services
- National Helpline
- On line support services (computerised CBT)
- Peer and family support services
- People with lived experience involved in co-design, evaluation
- Community Based Treatment
- Residential centres
- Money management and debt advisory services
- Outreach work in prisons.
Primary Care and other front-line health care staff (e.g. AE, Mental health, antenatal)
- Integrated primary care led services for early identification first contact care, signposting, provision of psychological education, physical health care and prescribing, with involvement of those with lived experience.
Intermediate-integrated team (IMIT) This would be made up of generalist-led (ideally GPs) with community providers
- Assessment and formulation
- Treatment (pharmacological as well as talking therapies)
- Case management.
- Liaison with GPs and other community providers as necessary
- Providing services for those with complex needs and serious co-morbidities, or those who require specialist interventions such as naltrexone or specialist forms of talking therapies will be referred to secondary care services.
- Focus on prevention, research, service development as well as complex patients
- Specialist centres in England (13), Scotland (3) and Wales (2)
- Day and Inpatient services.
Quality Assurance of NHS funded services
- CQC, Health Improvement Scotland Healthcare Inspectorate Wales
Public health services
- Supporting universal and targeted education and prevention work in schools, universities, places of work and leisure facilities.
Social marketing campaigns
- Targeted campaigns such as suicide prevention working with industry and financial sector partners.
- Large scale randomised controlled trials and prevalence studies
- Behavioural research (characteristics of those harmed by gambling activities)
- Technical innovations (social enterprise software).
- Creation and maintenance of a national data repository with data requirements mandated by the Commission, subject to robust governance and oversight.
NIHR and RCUK funds
- Funding for longitudinal studies with different populations (BAME, young men, women, disadvantaged groups), epidemiological studies, public health studies, game design and patterns of play impact of advertising, use of avatars social media research using machine learning, loot boxes and their relationship with gambling, gaming and its relationship with gambling, esports, research with young children on their emerging relationship with gambling.
Safer Gambling Levy Board
- Oversight of distribution of funds
- Rapid response research funds.
Advice to the Gambling Commission on a statutory levy: Appendix 1: Summary of psychological treatment approaches Next section
Appendix 3: Research Council funded studies in comparable areas with costs
Last updated: 17 August 2021
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.