Working with local licensing authorities
The Gambling Act 2005 (opens in a new tab) designates certain classes of local authorities in England and Wales (and licensing boards in Scotland) as licensing authorities.
Licensing authorities have local responsibilities for gambling
Licensing authorities have a number of important regulatory functions in relation to licensing premises for gambling, including:
- issuing premises licences
- regulating gaming and gaming machines in clubs and on alcohol licensed premises
- granting permits to family entertainment centres for the use of certain lower stake gaming machines
- granting permits for prize gaming
- registering small society lotteries
- horse and dog tracks
- inspection and enforcement of licences, permits and permissions.
You can find your local council on GOV.UK (opens in a new tab)
How we work with other organisations and agencies Next page
Match-fixing and sports betting integrity