October 2019: Industry Challenges
Measures to ensure enhanced control
Examples include mandatory loss limits and incorporation of the working group suggestion which removes split-screen slots games.
Reason: these are partly based on available research to indicate harm. For example, the removal of split-screen games, and partly on a precautionary basis such as mandatory consumer loss limits.
Measures to ensure safe and fair game characteristics
Examples include a working group suggestion around:
- minimum spin speed
- session length
- in-game promotions
- celebrating wins below stake.
Reason: These are partly based on available data to indicate potential harm from long sessions (session length) and partly on a precautionary basis, such as celebrating wins below stake.
Measures to ensure informed player choice
- messaging around wins, losses, stake and time
- played increases and information to player about
- the game itself
- information on their play
- addictiveness and danger classifications (such as A,B,C ratings).
Reason: These are partly based on available research to indicate relative understanding concept of return to player versus house-edge, and partly on a precautionary basis, such as provision of relevant information on play.
Once new requirements are in place, we will measure the effectiveness of them by monitoring game data with some of the following potential examples.
Short term: within 3 months
- number and percentage of games adapted by category of intervention - we could track in the short term the flow of games which have been modified
- number of interventions - the new code could introduce interventions and the metric would be to count these.
Longer term: within 6 months
We would expect the following to decrease after the code is introduced:
- mean spend per slots consumer
- the number of sessions over 1 hour
- mean spins and session length per slots consumer
- the number and percentage of consumers spending ‘extreme’ amounts.
We would also expect the average duration per spin to increase after the code introduced, while the average stake per spin to decrease.Previous section
Game design - October 2019: Industry Challenges Next section
Use of advertising technology - October 2019: Industry Challenges
Last updated: 19 August 2021
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.