Matti Heikki Metsola
What is a sanction?
When a licence holder has not followed rules and regulations aimed at ensuring gambling is fair, safe and crime-free, we can take action and impose the following sanctions:
- Give the licensee a warning
- Add, remove, or amend a condition to the licence
- Suspend a licence
- Revoke a licence
- Impose a financial penalty
Decision date: 18 May 2020
Details of action
Following a licence review, the Commission decided to issue Mr Matti Metsola with a warning under section 117(1)(a) of the Gambling Act 2005 and impose a condition on the Licensee’s licence under section 117 (1) (b) of the Act.
The reason for this decision was because, as a Personal Management Licence holder responsible for regulatory compliance at MT Secure Trade Limited (MTST), Mr Metsola failed to ensure MTST:
- complied with the requirement to complete a risk assessment as required by Licence condition 12.1.1 - Anti-money laundering - Prevention of money laundering and terrorist financing
- had appropriate policies, procedures and controls to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing in breach of licence condition 18.104.22.168
- put into effect adequate anti-money laundering controls such that it complied with the Money Laundering Regulations 2007 and 2017 as required by the licence condition attached to the licence on 1 November 2014 and Licence Condition 12.1.2
- notified the Commission of a key event, namely that a person holding a key position had ceased to occupy the position – breach of Licence condition 15.2.1, and
- complied with the requirements of social responsibility code provision 3.4.1 (Customer interaction).
In reaching our decision we concluded that Mr Metsola was not solely accountable for the failings which were systemic within the business. Mr Metsola will also be required to undertake training commensurate with his role.
Mr Metsola has been open and transparent throughout our engagement with him.