Gambling Commission: Managing conflicts of interest policy
Types of interest
10. Examples of potential conflicts of interest are (this list is not exhaustive) as follows.
Financial interests in a gambling and/or lottery operator, a company supplying a gambling operator or a company who supplies the Gambling Commission, an organisation seeking work and/or funds from the Commission.
Conflicts of loyalty
Conflicts of loyalty in which an individual’s duty to another person or organisation could prevent the individual acting solely in the best interests of the Commission.
Professional interests in concurrent work with a gambling and/or lottery operator, a company supplying a gambling operator, a company who supplies the Commission, or an organisation seeking work and/or funds from the Commission.
Standing for elected office, holding a position in a political party.
Volunteering and/or charity work and/or campaigning and/or lobbying
Volunteering, being a member, trustee or director of any organisation active in matters relating to gambling, or who receives funding from National Lottery and/or society lottery distributors and/or gambling operators.
Meaning conflicts arising from the interests of close family members and business relationships.
11. The relationships included in paragraph 10. 'Indirect conflicts' previously are defined as:
- spouse or partner
- grandchildren and grandparents
- business partners
- businesses where the individual or their family members listed previously holds at least one-fifth of the shareholding or voting rights.
12. Gifts and hospitality are not dealt with within this policy. The rules relating to these issues can be found within the relevant code of conduct within our corporate governance framework.
13. Conflicts may be potential, actual or reasonably perceived2. All three types require management.
Managing conflicts of interest policy - What is a conflict of interest Next section
Managing conflicts of interest policy - Incompatible conflicts
Last updated: 21 April 2023
Show updates to this content
Corrected formatting issues only.