Levels of problem gambling in Wales
Additional data sets in this series
Each couple of years we commission a survey on gambling behaviour for Wales. It provides a robust baseline on gambling activity in Wales. It will allow us to accurately chart changes in gambling behaviour including participation, the prevalence of problem gambling, and the prevalence of at risk gambling.
Around 4,000 people were interviewed for the survey in 2018.
Interviews were conducted face-to-face in the homes of respondents, following the same procedures as those employed in the health surveys for England and Scotland.
This data will be important for anyone with an interest in gambling and public health issues.
Headline findings from the Welsh problem gambling survey 2018
- of people in Wales gambled (55% in 2016)
- of people in Wales (excluding those who had only played National Lottery draws) gambled in 2018 (40% in 2016)
- of people in Wales identified as problem gamblers (0.8% in 2016)
- of people in Wales are at moderate risk of developing problems with their gambling (1.1% in 2016)
- of people in Wales are at low risk of developing problems with their gambling (2.2% in 2016)