Consumer experiences and attitudes to Free Bets & Bonuses
Additional data sets in this series
- Consumer voice - Exploring online staking (2020 research)
- Consumer attitudes towards gambling advertising (2019 research)
- Exploring the information needs of gambling consumers (2019 research)
- Behaviours and attitudes towards gambling with credit cards (2019 research)
- Understanding why people gamble and typologies
- Consumer views on cashless payments in land-based gambling
- Gambling participation in 2019: behaviour, awareness and attitudes
- How do machine gamblers feel about tracked play?
- How the consumer engages with safer gambling opportunities
- Prohibition of gambling on credit cards
- Taking a more in-depth look at online gambling
- Understanding consumer complaints
- Understanding how consumers engaged with gambling advertising in 2020
This data is designed to improve understanding of consumers’ experiences of receiving free bets and bonus offers from gambling companies, including their attitudes towards them and the impact they have on behaviour.
Over two thirds of gamblers had received some form of incentive in the last 12 months, with the most common being free bets/spins and sign up offers, and the most common way of receiving them being through email.
Among those that had received incentives in the last 12 months, almost three quarters had received them for online betting (73%).
Most respondents felt that their gambling is not influenced by receiving incentives (61%), however 31% of respondents agreed that receiving free bets/bonus offers encouraged them to gamble more than they wanted to.