Annual report and Accounts 2019 to 2020
Overview of the gambling sector
Within these following pages are key statistics and comparison data relating to the gambling industry in Great Britain during 2019-20, alongside tables referred to within the Chief Executive’s foreword.
The information covers general industry statistics, online betting, sports betting, gambling harm, and the National Lottery. Data is collected and analysed from a wide range of sources to ensure the Commission is up-to-date with industry statistics and gambling-related research.
- total GGY of British gambling industry: £14.3 billion1 – down 0.5% when compared to April 2018-March 2019
- total GGY of British remote/online sector up 4.3%1 when compared to April 2018-March 2019
- 98,174 people employed by the industry1 – down 4.4% from March 2019.
- First full year the Commission had direct ﬁgures for the extent of online gambling was 2015/16. GGY data is based on October-September and participation data is based on year to December.
In Great Britain, there are:
- 155 casinos1
- 642 bingo premises1
- 7,315 betting shops1
- 1,633 licensed arcades1
- 185,203 number of gaming machines1
- approximately 24.7 million2 adults gambled in 2019 – up 1% since December 2018
- approximately 11 million2 had gambled online – up 3% since December 2018
- 50%2 of online gamblers use their mobile to gamble – up 6% since December 2018
- 3 million had bet on football2 – stable since December 2018
- 21% of online gamblers have bet in play2 – down 2% since December 2018
- 5% of gamblers have self-excluded2
- approximately 340,000 adults are problem gamblers3
- 1.2 million adults are at a low risk of problem gambling3
- 550,000 adults are classed as a moderate risk3.
- £1.79 billion raised for good causes last year
- £42 billion raised for good causes since 1994
- approximately 15.5 million reported buying a National Lottery ticket in the past four weeks2.
1Industry statistics October 2018-September 2019. Published in May 2020
2Gambling participation in 2019: behaviour, awareness and attitudes – (February 2020).
3Gambling Behaviour in Great Britain in 2016 Report – (September 2018)
Chief Executive and Accounting Officer's message Next section
A year in review
Last updated: 16 November 2020
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.