Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Changes to the way Licensing works

27 June 2022

To keep up with increasing demand and to make best use of resources, Licensing is making changes to the way it operates.

What is changing?

We are moving away from the current model, where each operator has a dedicated account manager. This means that operators will no longer have an individual point of contact. Licensing will comprise of four sub-groups, each of which will be responsible for different areas of work. These are:

  1. The Operating Licence New Group - responsible for processing applications for new operator licences,
  2. The Change of Corporate Control Group – responsible for processing applications relating to changes of ownership and control for existing operators,
  3. The Operating Licence Vary Group - responsible for processing applications relating to changes to existing operator licences, and
  4. The Personal Licence group - responsible for processing all applications relating to personal licences.

Why is Licensing changing the way it is working?

We are changing our working practises to make the best use of our resources. By working in this way, we hope to be able to process applications more quickly. We also hope to be able to resolve queries more efficiently and effectively.

How do I submit an application?

The way in which applications should be submitted has not changed. Where an online service exists, applications must be made online. Information of the different online services is available in the Digital Services section of website . For applications where an online service does not exist, these must be made by email to We are no longer able to accept applications by post.

I have a question about an application I have submitted, who should I contact?

Once your application has been allocated to a caseworker, they will email you with their contact details and provide an estimated timescale for determination. If this timescale changes, your caseworker will let you know. If your application has not yet been assigned to a caseworker, queries should be directed to the

I have a general query not related to an application, who should I contact?

All general queries not related to an application should be sent to us either via our online contact form or by calling 0121 230 6666 (from outside the UK call us on +44 121 230 6666).

Last updated: 27 June 2022

Show updates to this content

No changes to show.

Is this page useful?
Back to top