Cookies on the Gambling Commission website

The Gambling Commission website uses cookies to make the site work better for you. Some of these cookies are essential to how the site functions and others are optional. Optional cookies help us remember your settings, measure your use of the site and personalise how we communicate with you. Any data collected is anonymised and we do not set optional cookies unless you consent.

Set cookie preferences

You've accepted all cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Complain about an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) body

If you are not happy about the conduct of an ADR body, you can complain to the ADR directly or to us using the following form.

How would you prefer to get a reply? Select one option.
Which ADR body is this complaint about? Select one option.
Have you already complained to the ADR body about this? Select one option.
Be specific about how you beleive the ADR has behaved unfairly. Include any reference numbers and dates applicable to you complaint.

This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Is this page useful?
Back to top