Advice and guidance updates
New bingo in alcohol licensed premises checklist
We have added a new checklist (opens in new tab) on the LLEP website - designed to assist authorised local authority officers to check the compliance of bingo in alcohol licensed premises.
The lottery library
Lotteries typically generate lots of queries for LAs and for us.
We have a raft of information relating to large and small society lotteries and licensing authority lotteries on our website as summarised below:
Advice for LAs dealing with lottery related queries:
Guidance to Licensing Authorities, Part 34 – guidance on small society lotteries
Licensing authority lotteries toolkit - contains advice, quick guides and case studies to help licensing authorities in their regulatory responsibilities in relation to:
- Organising small lotteries – Advice note setting out the requirements for exempt lotteries.
- Customer lotteries, incidental lotteries, private lotteries) - Webpages setting out the requirements for each type of exempt lottery.
- Running a lottery (quick guide) – Advice note providing a brief overview of all permitted lotteries.
- Promoting society and local authority lotteries advice note – Advice for large and small society lotteries and licensing authority lotteries that require a licence from the Commission and small society lotteries that require a registration from a LA.
- Prize competitions and free draws and Quick guide – Advice notes explaining prize competitions and free draws, and where the boundaries lie between them and lotteries.
- Society lotteries – Webpage setting out the definition of a large and small society lottery.
- Lottery ticket vending machines – Webpage explaining what lottery ticket vending machines are and where and how they can be sited.
- Lotteries on social media, house competitions, raffling big ticket items and 100 clubs – Webpage advice.
- Reverse and penny auctions – Webpages explaining what they are.
- Running lotteries for other good causes – Webpage providing advice to societies on how to do this.
Information for LAs looking to apply for an operator licence to run their own lottery:
- Licensing authority lotteries – Webpage for licensing authorities wishing to set up their own lottery.
- Promoting society and local authority lotteries advice note – Advice for large society lotteries and licensing authority lotteries that require a licence from the Commission and small society lotteries that require a registration from a LA.
- External lottery managers – Webpage setting out the definition of an External Lottery Manager.
- External lottery managers advice note – Advice note explaining the licensing requirements relating to external lottery managers and their role in promoting society and licensing authority lotteries.
- Promoting multiple society lotteries - Advice for society lotteries and external lottery managers promoting individual lotteries under one brand.
- Lottery proceeds advice note – Advice note relating to the distribution of lottery proceeds.
- Lottery-specific LCCP extracts – webpage linking to extracts of the licence conditions and codes of practice applicable to remote and non-remote lotteries.
Relevant parts of the Gambling Act 2005 in relation to lotteries are:
Section 14 - defines a lottery (s14(5) defines prize competitions)
Section 19 - defines a non-commercial society
Section 98 - provisions about lottery operating licences
Section 99 - mandatory lottery operating licence conditions
Part 11 - Lotteries
Sections 252 to 257 clarify the meaning of various terms, of note:
Section 252 - Promoting a lottery
Section 253 - Lottery ticket
Section 254 - Proceeds and profits
Section 255 - Draw
Section 256 - Rollover
Section 257 - External lottery managers
Sections 258 to 263 sets out offences and relevant penalties
Schedule 2 - lotteries, definition of payment to enter (relevant to free draws)
Schedule 11 - provisions for each type of exempt lottery (including small society lotteries registered with Licensing Authorities)
LA Bulletin September 2019 - Feature article: Yorkshire & Humber’s public health Framework for gambling related harm reduction Next page
LA Bulletin 2019 - Reference materials
Last updated: 12 August 2021
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.