National Strategy to Reduce Gambling Harms Archive
The National Strategy to Reduce Gambling Harms (the National Strategy) was launched in April 2019 and ran until April 2022. The Gambling Commission published this strategy following extensive engagement and input from a wide range of stakeholders with an interest in reducing gambling harms.
During the life of the National Strategy, we shared progress on projects, programmes and services delivered by the range of stakeholders involved in reducing gambling harms, in the form of an implementation actions map.
This guide provides links to the archived material that was published to support the National Strategy.
Our advisors, the Advisory Board for Safer Gambling published annual reports on progress with delivering the National Strategy. These annual reports can be found on the Advisory Board for Safer Gambling’s website.
The National Strategy to Reduce Gambling Harms
The sole and critical aim of the National Strategy for 2019 to 2022 was to make better and faster progress to reduce gambling harms.
The National Strategy identified two collective strategic priorities:
- Prevention and Education to move towards a collective and clear prevention plan with the right mix of intervention
- Treatment and Support to make significant progress towards truly national treatment and support options that met the needs of service users.
Progress towards these strategic priorities would be delivered through four enablers:
- regulation and oversight to deliver widespread option of best practice through regulatory frameworks
- collaboration to develop and improve existing practice and identify new ways to reduce gambling harms
- evaluation to understand what works to reduce gambling harms
- research to inform action to strengthen the link between research and policy.
Implementation actions map and progress
We published the first implementation actions map in July 2019. From Year 2 of the National Strategy onwards, progress was shared via an online implementation actions map which is available to download in the file Implementation actions map and progress March 2022 (XLSX).
Archive content and supporting documents and publications
The following content was also published around the National Strategy to share information on progress:
- a wide range of Stakeholders and delivery partners (DOCX) were involved in delivering progress towards the National Strategy’s aims
- the Strategy implementation Groups for Wales and Scotland were formed of organisations representing public health, local and national government, health and social care and service commissioners to identify and determine the most impactful priority actions for Wales and Scotland
- The Gambling Commission and the National Strategy (DOCX) was published in August 2021 and set out the Commission’s ongoing commitment and role in reducing gambling harms beyond the timeframe of the National Strategy
- GREO have supported the National Strategy by creating a hub for evidence and research into reducing gambling harms (opens in new tab), and an evaluation resource hub (opens in new tab)
- the Commission’s research programme 2018 to 2022 (DOCX) provides further information on research to support the National Strategy.
The archive of the National Strategy newsletters
The National Strategy newsletters can be accessed as follows:
- National Strategy newsletter - August 2022 (opens in new tab)
- National Strategy newsletter - October 2021 (opens in new tab)
- National Strategy newsletter - July 2021 (opens in new tab)
- National Strategy: update on delivery and new website - February 2021 (opens in new tab)
- National Strategy newsletter - August 2020 (opens in new tab)
- National Strategy newsletter - January 2020 (opens in new tab)
- National Strategy newsletter - September 2019 (opens in new tab)
Some files may not be accessible for users of assistive technology. If you require a copy of the file in an accessible format contact us with details of what you require. It would help us to know what technology you use and the required format.
PDF Files Some PDF files cannot be displayed in a browser, you will see a message saying "Please wait...". If you see this message, you will need to download the file and open it in Adobe Acrobat Reader (opens in a new tab).
Implementation actions map and progress March 2022 (XLSX)
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet Spreadsheet 389.7 kB
Stakeholders and delivery partners (DOCX)
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document Document 44.2 kB
The Gambling Commission and the National Strategy (DOCX)
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document Document 35.2 kB
The Gambling Commission’s research programme 2018 to 2022 (DOCX)
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document Document 846.6 kB
Last updated: 17 April 2023
Show updates to this content
Added an Excel version of the Implementation actions map and progress March 2022.