Latest gambling participation and perceptions figures released by Gambling Commission
27 February 2018
The Gambling Commission has published the 2017 gambling participation and perceptions report, revealing the latest gambling consumer trends in Britain.
The report tracks participation rates, problem gambling estimates, online gambling behaviour, consumer awareness of gambling management tools and attitudes towards gambling.
Ben Haden, programme director at the Gambling Commission said: “Our new three year strategy sets out our role in developing a strong evidence base and improved understanding of the impact gambling has on society. Today’s report makes an important contribution to that work as it presents a comprehensive view on how the British public is choosing the gamble and their attitudes to the current market.
“Our research shows the main factor that influences where someone gambles, is a company with a reputation for being fair and trustworthy. The message from that is clear – gambling companies that treat their customers well and act responsibly will be at an increasingly competitive advantage.”
- 45% of people have gambled in the past four weeks (including National Lottery play) (48% in year to December 2016)
- 18% of people have gambled online in the past four weeks (17% in year to December 2016)
- 1% of people who have gambled, have played on machines in a bookmakers in the past four weeks (1% in year to December 2016)
- 0.8% of all respondents identified as problem gamblers, and 3.9% identified as at-risk gamblers.
- 51% of online gamblers did so using a mobile phone or tablet (43% in year to December 2016)
- On average, online gamblers held 4 accounts each (3 in year to December 2016)
- 6% of gamblers have ever self-excluded (6% in year to December 2016)
- 26% of gamblers follow gambling companies on social media (32% in year to December 2016)
- 33% of people think gambling is fair and can be trusted (34% in year to December 2016)
- 41% of people think that gambling is associated with crime (39% in year to December 2016)
- Gambling participation in 2018: behaviours, awareness and attitudes
- Gambling participation in 2018: technical annex
- Gambling participation in 2017: datasheets
- Graphic: Gambling participation
- Graphic: Online behaviour
- Graphic: Consumer analysis
- Graphic: Perceptions and attitudes
Last updated: 23 August 2021
Show updates to this content
No changes to show.