Martin Henry Bailey
BILLERICAY, CM11 1QQ, United Kingdom
What is a sanction?
When a licence holder has not followed rules and regulations aimed at ensuring gambling is fair, safe and crime-free, we can take action and impose the following sanctions:
- Give the licensee a warning
- Add, remove, or amend a condition to the licence
- Suspend a licence
- Revoke a licence
- Impose a financial penalty
Decision date: 21 November 2019
Outcomes: Financial penalty and Warning
Details of action
Following a review of the licence issued to Mr Martin Bailey t/a Bailey’s Racing (the Licensee), the Commission found:
- The Licensee breached a condition of its licence relating to reporting key events and other reportable events licence condition 15.2.1.
- The Licensee breached condition 15.3 of its licence relating to the submission of regulatory returns
- The Licensee failed to consider ordinary code provision 3.6.4 relating to the employment of children and young people
- The Licensee failed to consider ordinary code provision 8.1.1 relating to the provision of information to the Commission
- The Licensee’s integrity, and therefore suitability to hold a licence, was brought into question.
In line with the Commission’s Licensing, compliance and enforcement policy statement, the indicative sanctions guidance and the Statement of principles for determining financial penalties, the Commission has decided to:
- issue a warning under section 117(1)(a) of the Gambling Act 2005 (the Act);
- impose a financial penalty under section 121 of the Act in the sum of £5,000.
The reason for this decision was because the Licensee:
- allowed their 17- year old son to work for them, and provide facilities for gambling, at Lingfield Park racecourse on Saturday 11 May 2019
- knowingly submitted an identification document containing a false date of birth for their son, to a betting ring manager
- did not report the matter to the Gambling Commission as required by Licence condition 15.2.1 Reporting key events and other reportable events
- failed to consider ordinary code provision 3.6.4 Employment of children and young people