Due to the impact Covid-19 is having on operations across the UK we have had to reduce our phoneline opening hours.

Our phonelines are open on Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 10 am and 4 pm.

The contact us service is also available for answers to common questions and we will aim to respond to these enquiries as quickly as possible.

If you have a question about your gambling, or the gambling of someone close to you, our FAQs from gambling consumers during lockdown may provide valuable information. Our what we do page also provides an overview of the types of queries we are able to help consumers with in the first instance.

The National Gambling Helpline is also available 24 hours a day, seven days a week through GamCare. It is there to support those suffering from gambling problems or those concerned about the affect gambling is having on people close to them. You can call them free on 0808 8020 133, or visit gamcare.org.uk.

If you are a gambling operator please read our Frequently Asked Questions for gambling businesses.
Skip to main content

What to look at before gambling

Before you transfer any money into a gambling account you should check that the organisation you plan to gamble with is licensed by the Gambling Commission.

Licensed gambling businesses must display that they are licensed and provide a link to our licence register where you can see what type of activities they are allowed to offer and also if we have taken any regulatory action against them. 

If there is no regulatory action listed, then we have not taken any action against them. 

You can also see their address, website domain names, trading names and current licence status. 

What to look for on a gambling website 

  • check whether the website is displaying a British Gambling Commission licensed status
  • check whether you can click directly through to our public licence register and if it shows the licence of this business
  • check whether the details on the licence (including activities and website domain names) match the public licence register
  • check the terms and conditions for each gambling product - this will help you understand exactly what you are betting on so you can make an informed decision
  • check for any restrictions on introductory offers or bonuses (such as a minimum spend level before the bonus is paid). 

If in doubt do not deposit funds with them and report your concerns to us.

What to look out for graphic

If a gambling business does not have a Gambling Commission licence, it is acting illegally by offering gambling to consumers in Great Britain. As a result:

  • we may take action against the operator
  • the businesses’ payment facilities may be withdrawn by the major payment systems organisations - notably MasterCard, PayPal and Visa.  

If you think a business is offering gambling illegally report your concerns to us.

Important reading