Due to the impact Covid-19 is having on operations across the UK we have had to reduce our phoneline opening hours.

Our phonelines are open on Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 10 am and 4 pm.

The contact us service is also available for answers to common questions and we will aim to respond to these enquiries as quickly as possible.

If you have a question about your gambling, or the gambling of someone close to you, our FAQs from gambling consumers during lockdown may provide valuable information. Our what we do page also provides an overview of the types of queries we are able to help consumers with in the first instance.

The National Gambling Helpline is also available 24 hours a day, seven days a week through GamCare. It is there to support those suffering from gambling problems or those concerned about the affect gambling is having on people close to them. You can call them free on 0808 8020 133, or visit gamcare.org.uk.

If you are a gambling operator please read our Frequently Asked Questions for gambling businesses.
Skip to main content

Licensing authority lotteries

If you are a local authority you may run a lottery to raise funds to cover anything for which you have the power to incur expenditure, for example, local community projects, arts centres or parks and leisure facilities. 

All local authority lotteries must be licensed by the Gambling Commission.  

Local authority lotteries must give a minimum of 20% of the gross proceeds of each lottery to a purpose for which it has power to incur expenditure. 

Up to a maximum of 80% of the gross proceeds of each lottery may be divided between prizes and the expenses of the lottery. 

The maximum value of tickets that can be sold in a single lottery is £4 million. 

The maximum aggregate value of lottery tickets that can be sold in any calendar year is £10 million. 

The maximum prize in a single lottery is £25,000 or 10% of the proceeds (gross ticket sales), whichever is greater. 

Rollovers are permitted provided the maximum single prize limit is not breached. 

If your local authority runs a lottery you must appoint a person to have overall management responsibility for the promotion and proper management of the lottery and for compliance with the regulatory regime as a whole. That person should be a senior manager who holds the relevant delegated authority from the licensing authority. 

Depending on whether your lottery would be considered a small scale operator or not, that person will be required to hold either a Personal management licence (PML) or complete an Annex A, at the time the operating licence is applied for. Our licensing department will be able to advise you on which is required. 

Under the previous lottery legislation (the 1976 Lotteries and Amusements Act) a significant number of local authorities held registrations with the Gaming Board of Great Britain to promote lotteries to raise income. Many local authorities now hold lottery operating licences under the Gambling Act 2005, a full list is available on the register of licence holders. If you require further information about any of these lotteries, contact the relevant local authority directly.

External lottery managers

You may employ an external lottery manager (ELM) to run all or part of your lottery. ELMs must be licensed by us.

A full list of licensed ELMs is available on the register of licence holders

Information reporting requirements

You must submit information to us about each lottery you operate. Each lottery submission must detail:

  • total proceeds
  • amount applied directly to purposes for which you have power to incur expenditure
  • amount distributed between expenses and prizes (including any amount deducted for rollovers)
  • whether the lottery was promoted as part of a branded lottery scheme
  • the value of the largest prize awarded
  • the nature of the lottery (raffle, subscription lottery, retail/online scratchcard or vending machine dispensed scratchcard)
  • ticket cost

You must also provide consumers with information about the proportion (as a percentage) of lottery proceeds (tickets sales) applied directly to the purposes of the lottery, for which you have the power to incur expenditure, in a calendar year. 

Although there is no requirement to do so, you can if you wish provide more information on this to show how lottery money has been used.

Promoting society and local authority lotteries

Advice for society and local authority lotteries which require a licence or registration

97 KB Download