Skip to main content

Personal functional licence

If you plan to be involved in gaming or handling cash in relation to gambling at a casino you must hold a personal functional licence (PFL) before you start work.

You need a PFL if you are:

  • a dealer/croupier
  • a cashier
  • an inspector
  • a pit boss/gaming supervisor
  • security staff/monitoring surveillance related to gambling activities. 

training video and PDF guidance is available to help you with the new application service.

Apply for a licence online

Personal licence applications take around 8 weeks to process, providing full information is submitted.  

Show allShow less

Cost of a personal functional licence

The cost for a PFL is £185. We can accept payment from most credit or debit cards, but unfortunately we are not able to accept American Express or Visa Electron.

We will not return your fee if your application is unsuccessful or you choose to withdraw from the application process.

What will I need to complete my application?

To complete the PFL application process you will need to have ready the following:

  • an email address and mobile number to create and retrieve your application
  • all your residential addresses for the last 5 years and the dates you lived there
  • a UK correspondence address
  • verified ID documents for upload.
  • For casino industry employees, you should have an ID verification form completed by your employer ready for upload.
  • If you currently reside in England and Wales, you will be asked to agree to an electronic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to be carried out on you via the PFL Apply service.
  • If you live/work in Scotland a Disclosure Scotland form will be required to be completed.
  • copies of your police report and credit report/letter of good standing from your bank if you have lived outside the UK in the last 5 years. You will also need to have English translations if these documents are in another language.
  • a credit or debit card to pay the application fee.

If any information is missing and not uploaded, you will not be able to submit your application.

If you choose to post in your identity documentation you must do so within 7 days of submitting your application, as we will not be able to progress your application. 


Criminal record checks

You must tell us about any convictions including current investigations. Unless otherwise stated we will complete basic criminal check with the Disclosure and Barring Service or Disclosure Scotland.

If you live/work in England and Wales, a Disclosure and Barring Service check will be completed.

If you live/work in Scotland, you will be required to complete a Disclosure Scotland check. You will be provided with the form that must be completed and returned within 7 days. Failure to do this will result in your application being considered for refusal.

When you receive your Disclosure Scotland certificate you must send this to us within 7 days of receiving it in order for your application to be progressed. We will return this to you by recorded delivery. Failure to send in your certificate will result in your application being considered for refusal.

Overseas applicants are required to obtain police reports with an English translation. Failure to provide this with your application will result in your application being considered for refusal.

Personal licence maintenance

More information about the personal licence maintenance process is available. 

Things you need to tell us about

You should inform us of any changes in circumstances, for example if your contact details change. See the full list of things you need to tell us about as part of your licence conditions.

How do I submit documents if I can't upload them online

Original documents posted to us will be returned by recorded or special delivery and will need to be signed for upon receipt.

Post to the address below quoting your name and the unique application reference ID given to you during the online application.

Licensing submissions
Gambling Commission
Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
B2 4BP

What do I do when I get my licence?

Keep your licence in a safe place. You need to be able to produce your licence on demand within a specified period, if a constable or enforcement officer asks to see it.

Your licence will last indefinitely unless:

  • it is revoked
  • it is suspended
  • you choose to surrender it
  • it lapses, for example due to bankruptcy
  • it is forfeit, for example if a court orders it when you are convicted of a relevant offence
If you need a copy of your personal licence login to eServices - Personal, and you will be able to download a copy of your licence.


Administration costs for adding, deleting or amending a personal licence


Adding a licensed activity

25% of standard licence fee

Amending a licensed activity

25% of standard licence fee

Removing a licensed activity

£25 administration fee

Adding a condition

25% of standard licence fee

Amending a condition

25% of standard licence fee

Removing a condition

25% of standard licence fee

Variations to personal licence applications take around 5 days to process, providing full information is submitted.

You rejected my application, what can I do?

If we reject your application, we will let you know the reasons why and the steps you can take to appeal if you are unhappy with our decision. If we have given you a final decision and you are not satisfied with it, you can appeal to HM Courts & Tribunals Service, which is an independent body.

Apply for a licence online



Also see

Personal licence application to vary form

561 KB Download

Personal licence application to vary guidance notes

376 KB Download