Due to the impact Covid-19 is having on operations across the UK we have had to reduce our phoneline opening hours.

Our phonelines are open on Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 10 am and 4 pm.

The contact us service is also available for answers to common questions and we will aim to respond to these enquiries as quickly as possible.

If you have a question about your gambling, or the gambling of someone close to you, our FAQs from gambling consumers during lockdown may provide valuable information. Our what we do page also provides an overview of the types of queries we are able to help consumers with in the first instance.

The National Gambling Helpline is also available 24 hours a day, seven days a week through GamCare. It is there to support those suffering from gambling problems or those concerned about the affect gambling is having on people close to them. You can call them free on 0808 8020 133, or visit gamcare.org.uk.
Skip to main content

Betting: which licence do you need?

This advice explains our approach when deciding what operating licences you need to run your betting business. It is particularly focused on the questions that arise regarding the use of self-service betting terminals and other intermediate arrangements in providing gambling facilities on the high street.

If your business is party to your customers’ betting contracts you will need a general betting standard operating licence (remote/non-remote). 

If you are providing facilities for gambling from key equipment in Great Britain or to consumers in Britain which facilitates customers’ betting with a third party, either directly or through another betting intermediary, you need a betting intermediary licence (remote/non-remote). 

In either case, those licences will need to be remote licences if the customer bets using any form of remote communication or if your activity is carried on by means of remote communication, whether or not the customer is on your premises. 

In circumstances where the transaction is conducted from your premises, a betting premises licence will be needed and cannot be obtained without a betting operating licence which can either be remote or non-remote. 

Gaming machines 

Gaming machines can only be provided on licensed betting premises where you hold a non-remote general betting (standard) licence and are providing non-remote betting facilities. 

Also see

Betting: advice for remote, non-remote and betting intermediaries

Advice on the Commission's approach to deciding which operating licences are needed

107 KB Download