Due to the impact that Coronavirus is having, we have had to reduce our phoneline opening hours.

Our phonelines are open on Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 10 am and 4 pm.

You can use the contact us service to get answers to common questions or send us a contact request.

If gambling problems are affecting you or those close to you, support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through GamCare. You can call them free on 0808 8020 133 or go to gamcare.org.uk.

You can also read our Guidance and FAQs for more information.
Skip to main content

Casino permitted areas

Casinos are only permitted in certain areas within Great Britain.

Casino premises licences

Gambling Act 2005

New casinos under the Gambling Act 2005 are restricted to the following areas:

The following local licensing authority areas can site one small casino:

  • Bath and North East Somerset District Council
  • East Lindsey District Council
  • Luton Borough Council
  • Scarborough Borough Council
  • Swansea City and County Council
  • Torbay Borough Council
  • Wigtown Divisional Licensing Board in the area of Dumfries and Galloway Council
  • Wolverhampton City Council.

The following local licensing authority areas can site one large casino:

  • Great Yarmouth Borough Council
  • Kingston upon Hull City Council
  • Leeds City Council
  • Middlesbrough Borough Council
  • Milton Keynes Borough Council
  • Newham London Borough Council
  • Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council
  • Southampton City Council.

Contact the local licensing authorities concerned to find out more. 

Gaming Act 1968

If you run a 1968 Act casino, you should already have a premises licence from your local licensing authority.

How the regions were decided 

The regions are based on a historical division that was established under the previous regulatory framework by the Gaming Board for Great Britain working under the Gaming Act 1968. 

Permitted areas and other details about 1968 Act casinos